Thursday, October 15, 2015

EDIM 514 Week 6_Attend A Webinar

In this week's small assignment, we were tasked with attending a webinar of our choice and then reflect upon it. The webinar I chose to attend was hosted on https://www.ice.org.uk/events?etypes=29. I found mention of this webinar on Twitter. I often use Twitter for resources that people post. I lucked out in finding this because it actually gave me talking points in my engineering class. The webinar took place today. Once I got in, I was surprised how many people (71) were actually in the session. The session was on "blockers and enablers of innovation in construction and the steps needed to transform UK engineering, and help the industry to meet the government’s Construction 2025 goals."

The webinar was mainly a lecture from the presenter, not a discussion with the crowd. Apparently someone from the company took participation questions, ideas, and points before the live webinar on Twitter to save time. I thought that was cool, but that also meant I could not participate in the discussion because I did not know about this beforehand. I guess depending on how you look at this, it could be a strength of the webinar or a weakness. In my eyes, it was a weakness because no one wants to listen to an hour long lecture that they cannot participate in. Especially when the lecture goes off on a tangent question that you have not interest about, but the speaker did.

On that note, I don't think I would really want to participate in a future webinar from this site. I can however use the majority of talking points about innovation, civil engineering, future building plans (forward thinking), etc. within my class as extra material to bring into our class discussions. On a positive and ending note though, I do think it would be a good idea to assign my students to attend a webinar of their engineering topic or choice to reflect upon the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment